The museum is located in what used to be Fort Screven.
The museum is open daily (except Tuesdays) from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. The last tickets are sold at 4:30 p.m. and can be purchased at the Tybee Island Lighthouse across the street from Battery Garland.
Fort Screven was an important military post
of the Spanish American War (1898). Most of
its batteries were not completed in time for
that war, but the Spanish never threatened an
attack on Savannah and the fort never came
Fort Screven had seven batteries, six on
Tybee Island and a seventh, Battery
Hambright, near Fort Pulaski. Battery Garland
now houses the Tybee Island Museum and
is open to the public, as is Battery Hambright.
The others can be seen from the street and
beach, but are not publicly accessible.
The first of the fortifications to be finished,
Battery Brumby, can be seen from the
grounds of the Tybee Island Lighthouse and
was the only one of the batteries ready for
action during the Spanish American War. It
mounted four 8-inch guns on disappearing
carriages that could fire a 200 pound shell
over 8 miles.
Battery Garland, which now houses the
museum, was finished in 1899 and mounted
four 12-inch rifles.
Work on the battery began in 1897 and when completed in 1898, it mounted four 8" disappearing rifles. The guns
remained in place until 1917.
Begun in 1898, the battery mounted three guns. It was
armed with two 4.72" and one 6" Armstrongs until they were scrapped in 1919.
This now houses the museum, it was finished in 1899 and mounted four 12-inch rifles.
Once an downtown Tybee attraction, now museum attraction
The rifled cannon that toppled Fort Pulaski
A display of Civil War history