The English presence on Tybee began with the founding of the Colony of Georgia in 1733 at Savannah. General James Oglethorpe had intended for Georgia to be a refuge for debtors and other undesirables who were no longer welcome in England. He hoped Georgia would serve as a buffer between South Carolina and Florida, which was still controlled by the Spanish. The first lighthouse at Tybee was built in 1736, and the island has been continuously inhabited ever since. The British flag that is currently being flown is commonly called the “King’s Colors”. It was in use prior to 1806.
Click to change the background
Tybee Island Lighthouse and Museum
30 Meddin Ave